Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Even When The Eyes Are Closin' ... Do It With Your Heart Wide Open.



I've seen this on several people's Facebook accounts recently & I love it.

I'm always amazed by the power of music. How the sound of someone's voice can take you somewhere else completely - or how just the right lyrics can feel like they were written to tell ths story of your life.

I remember being in the car with my mother one day and feeling irritated because she wouldn't quit changing the radio stations. When I asked her what she was doing she said, "Figuring out all the answers."

I had no idea what she meant so I rolled my eyes and assumed it was some idiotic thing that parents say to avoid answering their children's real questions. :)

I forgot about this conversation until about a year or two ago when I was watching 'One Tree Hill' reruns(it's my guilty pleasure - back off.).  One of the characters was using the radio stations to answer all of life's questions. She rationalized that if she could concentrate on a question and then randomly pick a radio station that the answer to her question was somewhere in the song. It reminded me of that weird answer my mother had given me some 20 years earlier.

Now I have no idea if this is even remotely close to what my mom meant when she said, "Figuring out all the answers." But I HAVE used this little technique several times since then & it's never really led me astray. Plus, instead of admitting to myself that I stole this from a chic show, I pretend it really was what my mama meant in the car that day.

Anyhow, the point is that music is powerful. I can't imagine living a single day without belting out Martina McBride in the shower or dancing to OAR with my kiddo in the living room. On a day when Josh is clearly from Mars and I am clearly from Venus, we still have a handful of songs that are ours.

The song in the video above has become one of my new favorites. I play it each morning while I'm drinking my tea & checking my email. By the time it's played for the 3rd or 4th time I feel as if I could take on the world. My dog benefits massively from this because at 7.5 months pregnant, my version of 'taking on the world' means walking through the mountains until me & the pooch are both exhausted.

I'm thankful for the feeling of empowerment & self awareness that this particular song gives me. I hope you each get the same feeling.

Now, I'm off to take on the world.

Enjoy your Saturday, friends.

-xo-

No comments:

Post a Comment