Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Prime Rib & Lip Goop

My Facebook friends have watched me make several posts regarding prime rib over the last few weeks. First, requesting recipes, next the happy Christmas post, & finally last night's "I finally mastered the recipe" post. Everyone was really happy with the way it turned out & a few of you have asked for the recipe. So here it is. (My only regret is I never took a picture of the meat!)

Out of all the Prime Rib I've ever eaten, Friar's Prime @ Old Piney Dell is my favorite. So I worked really hard to copy cat that recipe. It didn't turn out anything like his ... but it turned out pretty dang good, so here goes:

For our 15 pound, no bone Prime Rib:

Gather the following fresh herbs:

Rosemary (2 cups chopped)
Thyme (1 cup chopped)
Sage (half cup chopped)
Basil (2 cups chopped)
Parsley (2 cups flaked)

(** I used kitchen shears to cut them into little pieces. But a food proccessor would probably work better if you have one. I dont --- so I cut by hand. The shears are SO much faster than a knife!)

After all the herbs were chopped I added olive oil. I don't know how much I added. I just poured until the consistency of the herbal glop was like a sloppy paste. Keep in mind you want it to stick to the outside of the prime rib.

** I had dried rosemary, basil, and parsley that I added later when I needed to quickly make more herbal glop. Haha. ***

I bought a jar of minced garlic. I used several heaping tablespoons to it. We LOVE garlic --- so I used a ton.

Mix it in with the glop.

Add cracked black pepper --- again, we LOVE pepper so I used LOTS.
I also added Lawry's seasoning salt to taste.
Finally, I added the juice from one half of a lemon.

To give the flavors plenty of time to mix together, I made the glop 48 hours before applying it to the prime rib. Don't use a metal bowl or tinfoil --- it will change the flavor of the glop. I use a plastic bowl & plastic wrap.

Its important that the meat is at room temperature when you put it in the oven. Take the meat out at least 24 hours before you cook it. 

I prepared the roasting pan with the juice from the other half of the lemon, a bottle of Sam's IPA (but any beer would probably be just fine!), and one stick of butter (cut into chunks & spread throughout the pan).

I pre heated the oven to 475 degrees. I put the meat in for 30 minutes. (This crisps up the herbal glop & it is delicious!)

The first time I then I turned the oven down to 325 & cooked for another hour. The meat was medium well. Thats way overdone for anyone in this house.

Last night when I tried it again,  I turn the oven down to 325 degrees but I only cooked it for it for 40  minutes. It was a perfect medium rare .... heavier on the rare side.

If any of you try this, I'd love to hear how it turns out & any modifications you make! Happy Prime Rib-ing.


***

I feel there is another recipe worth sharing. I came across it last week and it has literally changed my life.

Winter is brutal on my skin --- something tells me that I'm not alone on that one. Dry skin, broken nails, chapped lips. Ugh --- chapped lips. Not only are they ugly, but they HURT! I'm super, ultra, extra sexy when I have chapped lips because its not just my lips ... the redness spreads all the way around my mouth and I end up looking like a clown with a bad make up job.

This was the case on the morning of December 16. I woke up in the most God-awful pain I've ever experienced. This coming from someone who has been shot, experienced child birth, AND sat through several local "singers" performing the National Anthem at our home town rodeo. None of those things compare to the pain I felt by this particular bout of chapped lips.  By December 20th it was so bad that I couldn't speak, smile, or eat. When you take food away from this girl, things get seriously dangerous for everyone in her path. So, clearly, I needed a remedy.

Here are the things that DIDN'T work:

* Chapstick brand chapstick
* Burts Beeswax
* coconut oil
* glycerin

But my dear friend, Google, led me to a page with this simple recipe on it:

Spread honey on your lips & chapped area.
Coat with a thin layer of vaseline.
Let soak for 10 minutes & take off with warm water and a Q tip.

So I tried it. And, like everything else in my life, modified it a little. My first modification failed. I hated the way the vaseline tasted so I just used honey. That made my lips feel worse though, so I added the vaseline back to the mix.

Also, I never wiped it off. I let it stay on until it soaked in/went away on its own.

The pain was gone with the first treatment. I put this on my lips whenever I noticed that the previous application had disapeared. 48 hours later I had healthy, moisturized lips again.

I'm so impressed with the results that I thought I would pass it on to anyone who would listen!

Hope your Thursday is fabulous - xo -nic

No comments:

Post a Comment