Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ouch.

"Mom, we need to talk."

It seemed like a pretty profound (not to mention SCARY!) sentence to come out of our 7 year old's mouth.

"I'm not a baby anymore. I'm going to be a big brother, ya know."

Ummm. Yea. I know. Or, at least, I thought I did. Maybe I don't have as firm a grip on the situation as I thought I did.

This happened yesterday after school. I struggled with it for a few hours ... & then it got worse.

I love tucking my little guy in almost as much as I love waking him up. Those are the two times of day when he is still " my little bug'. He snuggles, lets me kiss on him, reads with me, & tells me whats going on inside that gorgeous head of his.

But last night when I went to tuck him in I hadn't even made it two steps into his room when he said, "Yea ... mom. I don't want you to snuggle me tonight."

WHAT?! THIS from a kid who throws down "I love you" like its nothing and hugs Josh & I every chance he gets. THIS from a kid who remins me every night, "Mama, don't forget to snuggle me again before you go to sleep."

I tried to swallow my hurt feelings but he must have been able to see it on my face.

"Maybe we can snuggle tomorrow night, mama. But I am getting older ya' know."

I'd be lying if I said that I didn't cry my eyes out when I told Josh what happened. So he let me snuglle him instead. WHich, don't get me wrong - is always a favorite past time of mine.... but its not quite the same. :P

Anyhow, I guess I need to buy a book or talk to some friends or something ... anything to help me figure out how to function now that my "little bug" isn't so little anymore.

Eye-yi-yi.

No comments:

Post a Comment