Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

6/30

Day 07: A picture of your most treasured item.

Assuming 'treasured item' refers to an object & not a person or animal I have to say, hands down, my dad's guitar.


This guitar epitomizes everything that was important to my pa. Music was his life & when that life came to an end all-too-soon, I was left with three things: His 1500+ piece vinyl collection (including but not limited to the complete autographed Beatles collection), his Elk's Lodge tie, and this guitar.

The record collection is phenomonal & I'm incredibly proud to have it. And the Elk's Lodge tie is special to me for a reason that I won't go into now ... it's a story for another time.

But that guitar ... it's more than just something I inherited. It makes me feel close to both of my parents still. Music was something that connected them to eachother ... a passion they shared.

They met when they were assigned to do a morning show together on a radio station in Miles City. From there they worked at several radio stations together, produced & promoted concerts, and taught me everything there was to know about classic rock & classic  country. I don't think I have any memories of them that don't include music in some way, shape, or form.

My dad started having this guitar autographed YEARS before he met my mom & continued taking it to every concert they went to once they met & were married. After they died, I was lucky enough to add a few autographs to it as well.

The Judds, Garth, Martina McBride, Highway 101, Willie, Waylon, Kris Kristofferson, Clay Walker, The Charlie Daniels Band, Reba, Tanya Tucker, George Strait, Colin Ray, Pirates of the Mississippi, The Bellamy Brothers ... the list goes on and on and on.

There really isn't anything else to say. This is a photo of my most treasured item. :)

1 comment: