Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cookies & Dogs

In the month following the baby's arrival we received several hot meals from neighbors and friends. It was -- hands down -- the best gift I have ever received. All of the meals were delicious & certainly appreciated but there was one that stood out. Well ... one part of one meal that stood out. That handsome devil, Tommy B, from down the road made us some no-bake cookies. They were delightful. I do not know how I have made it 29 years without ever tasting their yummy goodness. While it's true that I will be forever grateful to Tommy for making them for us it is also true that my ass grows a little larger each and every day. Not, not from the 6 little cookies he sent us. But from the batch after batch after batch of them I have made since he intriduced us to them.
(pic stolen from this site -- where you can also find the recipe)

*** I feel it's neccessary to note that although I started out by using this recipe I have often modified it by ading any combination of the following ingredients: coconut, craisins, raisins, M&M's, Rice Krispies, chopped nuts, and/or sunflower seeds (my favorite!). Pretty much any ol' junk in the cupboard can go in!

As I type this the snow is falling from the sky. 2 inches have stuck so far and it shows no sign of letting up. What a weird Memorial Day. (Or as one of my Facebook friends would say: 'Mamoriul Day'. Really?! Sheesh. )

The baby has finally learned to love her swing ... so she is swinging away watching the snow fall and listening to the puppy whine.

Yea ... the puppy. You see, we did eventually find our little Lolly Dog. Judging by the apparent broken leg & bnlood around the mouth we think he was hit by a car.

I empathize with anyone who loses a pet --- for so many people animals become a part of the family. We are no exception. My heart breaks everytime I imagine what that poor dog went through. We found his body in a place we had already looked for it. Which means that he spent a considerable amount of time suffering before he finally drug himself to his final resting place.

As sad of a deal as it was for us --- for Isaac in particular --- I am thankful for one thing. The dog went missing during the Luther Rush Hour. (AKA --- school had just gotten out.) He was last accounted for at about 3:10. By 3:50 when Isaac got off the bus --- he has already been hit. I am thankful that it happened before he got hime & not during the time when Isaac could have watched it happen.

We weren't going to get a new dog right away  --- but a friend of the family gifted us a puppy.  So, I guess we are a dog family once again.

Daisy. Crazy Daisy. Daisy Doo. Dippy Dog. Dippy Do. She has lots of names. Her teeth are sharp and her face is sweet. Isaac is in love. Now if only the little beast would stop chewing on the baby & her things. :)




Oh ... I had so much more to say today --- but little miss is crying and I can't stand the sound of it. I'm off to rock my baby.

I'll leave you with this little ditty in honor of our lost friend, Oliver. Miss you, buddy!





"He danced for those at minstrel shows and county fairs
throughout the south
He spoke through tears of 15 years how his dog and him
traveled about
The dog up and died, he up and died
And after 20 years he still grieves.."
- Jerry Jeff Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment